"She seeketh wool and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands." ((Proverbs 31:13)

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Christmas is Just Around the Corner

Christmas is just around the corner, but it is difficult to believe that Thanksgiving was just last week and today is already December 1st!  Our house is still decorated for Autumn, and we are still recuperating from all of the preparations and celebration of Thanksgiving, which still lingers in the air.  I just made my turkey leftovers soup two days ago, and believe it or not, we still have turkey and a few slices of various pies to enjoy.

As I sat in the sewing group, at my LNS, this morning, and listened to some of the ladies talking about having already put up their Christmas trees, I realized that I need to get myself going and get out the Christmas boxes!  It just seems like we are barely past Thanksgiving and before we can blink an eye, Christmas is upon us.  Can't we just savor these special times a little longer, I wonder?

 The first item to be put out, although a few days late, is always our Advent Wreath with its' candles.  Growing up in my family, Advent was always my favorite part of the Christmas season.  Each night after supper, as we all sat around the dinner table, my parents would dim the lights and my mother would read the daily scripture lesson, and then we would all joinin singing a Christmas hymn or two.  We carried on this tradition with our children as they grew up, and now my husband, Bruce and I still continue it together in our "empty nest".  On Christmas Eve, with our grown and married children,  everyone all looks forward to the special time of lighting the candles, and  reading aloud the scripture for Christmas Eve.  It is now quite a chorus of voices when we all sing some of our favorite Christmas hymns together, but it is such a special time that we will always cherish in our hearts.

Here are a few previews of some of the Christmas ornaments I have been stitching, although they are not finished yet.  Some of  them will be gifts for my daughter and my daughters in law, who, as I mentioned in my last post, put little "sticky post-its" on the pages of my 2009 and 2010 Just Cross-Stitch Ornaments issues!  "Hint-hint", they said with sweet grins on their faces.  Here are two previews that are ready for finishing.  At least one ornament will be for our tree, and I am almost finished stitching it.  Hopefully, I will be able to show you a few finished ornaments with my next posting.


"Stitcher's Joy" (Prairie Moon)

"Windows of Faith, Hope, and Peace" (Primrose Needleworks)
Crossing in Stitches & Friendship With You.....One Stitch At A Time!

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful Christmas Eve tradition. And how sweet...post it notes as hints. Look forward to seeing your finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful Advent tradition that you & Bruce have kept it up! I sometimes think Thanksgiving gets booted out too soon. I love Christmas, but the turkey is barely put away and out comes Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely Christmas tradition.

    Your ornaments are looking very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy,

    Thanks for taking me back to my youth as well, as the Advent season was certainly a huge part of the preparations for Christmas Day in my family. The holiness of Christ's birth has been put on the back burner these days; the materialism (sad to say) is just everywhere! You have the right spirit!

    Peace,
    Margie

    ReplyDelete

Consider the Lilies of the Field

Consider the Lilies of the Field
"So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the Lilies of the Field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you, that even Solomon in all his glory, was not arrayed like one of these." Matt: 6: 28-29)